Thursday, November 20, 2008

Down Memory Lane - Pt.2




Kalakshetra is synonymous with Rukmini Arundale. Fondly called athai by every one around her, one cannot imagine Kalakshetra without her. We used to be in awe of her. She set up Kalakshetra which provided an institutional setting for the students of music and dance. Here she retained the positive aspects of the system and persuaded outstanding musicians and dance gurus to join the faculty and created for them an ambience devoid of commercial considerations. I still remember there was so much of excitement in the college, when the then prime minister Morarji Desai offered the chair of the President of India to Rukmini Devi Arundale in 1977. She declined, preferring to dedicate herself to the arts .

I could say that I had the greatest honor of coming across some great legendary figures who have amazed and inspired me. Some of them were in Kalakshetra. I was young and quite naïve then. I had no idea that these were some of the greatest musicians, dancers and artists of our time.



I remember going to MD Ramanathan sir's classroom whenever I found some free time to listen to him singing. Ramanathan Sir is known for his unique style of singing. He had a fabulously deep and resonant voice which used to keep us all in awe. He would be with his students teaching them and sometimes singing all by himself.

Another legendary figure I have to mention is the maestro Shri Bhoodalur Sastrigal who used to play the gottuvadhyam. He used to look so fragile yet so magestic since he was of advanced age during that time. A sweet natured person who was always lost in his music. Such a blessing to have been able to sit before him when he was free, and he used to demonstrate the gottuvadhyam to my friends and me.

I also have to say about my vocal master, Mr. Mani Iyer who was a disciple of Shri Papanasam Sivan. A gentle soul with so much of simplicity. I remember him walking with his black umbrella in his hand. An unassuming man, Mani Sir was a patient and genuine teacher. When he was not teaching he could be found in his class with his tambura all by himself singing. I had the privilege of learning a number of Papanasam Sivan’s kritis under him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

RAGAM,THANAM, PALLAVI!!!! The rhythm of life!!

Read your blog often even at sjs and team. Awesome!!!

Pilgrim said...

Hi Raj,

I am glad that you enjoy reading my blog. I was surprised that there are others reading. Anyway thanks.