Saturday, December 27, 2008

Thirukkural -" Words of Wisdom"





I am a great advocate of the Thirukkural. My first book of thirukkural was given to me by my mother who is a passionate reader herself. She reads widely and encouraged us, her children to read. Since I was not fluent in Tamil, she bought me books translated into the English language. I was lucky to have followed her advice as a child, then as an adult reading has become one of my passions. I particularly like works like the Thirukkural, Upanishads, works by Shankaracharyar, The Baghavad Gita to name a few. I am definitely drawn to philosophical works. Some of my other favorites are Confucius and Lao Tze. This pilgrim is on her journey and continues in her learning. Learning is a joy. I have learned so much from the Thirukkural and hope to learn more.

Thirukkural is a precious gem among the classics, unique in the deliverance of code of conduct to mankind to follow for all time to come. It enshrines in it 1330 couplets under 133 chapters, each chapter comprising 10 verses. The chapters again fall under three major divisions. Virtue, Wealth and Love. This treatise encompasses the whole gamut of human life and by Thiruvalluvar, its illustrious author illuminates every bit of it! This classical work written in Tamil, has been translated in over 60 languages of the world.

Thirukkural is the masterpiece of Tamil literature with the highest and purest expressions of human thought. Its ethics and values are applicable to all religions, countries and time. Thirukkural's immortality and universality are unquestionable.
I feel that every person should read this beautiful work of wisdom regardless of what nationality, race or culture they belong to.

Many believe in memorizing the words of this ancient work (Thirukkural) and taking part in competitions. I for one do not believe in this. I feel that anything learned should be understood by the mind, assimilated and put into practice in our lives.

So today I start this humble journey of mine to follow the versus of Thiruvalluvar and learn again these beautiful timeless words which will help me to walk further in this life of mine.

No comments: