Friday, May 15, 2009

Speaking Pleasant Words

“I believe everyone is entitled to his and her views and that we should respect this. Of course, this does not mean we must agree with these views. We are definitely at liberty to disagree with them. But just because we disagree with them does not mean we should silence these people and not allow them to express their opinions” - Raja Petra Kamarudin

I read this in RPK's blog in one of his article and it reminded me of a very nasty experience I had with someone I know recently. I was rudely shocked to be told off in a very humiliating manner to have expressed my personal opinion about some political issue.

The incident left me very shattered and badly shaken for a week and even though I have come out of it gradually, the scar or pain is still there. There is a saying in Tamil by the poet Saint Thiruvalluvar on using pleasant words. Sometimes we do not realize how disastrous the outcome can become if we do not know how to speak to people with courtesy. This particular incident has left me with more resolve not to hurt anyone with rude words because the pain caused can be agonizing.

The relationship too can be strained even though the person can be one of your best friends.


Speaking Pleasant Words - Thiruvalluvar


Pleasant words are those which, full of tenderness And free from deceit, fall from the lips of virtuous men.

Better than a gift given with a joyous heart Are sweet words spoken with a cheerful smile.

A kindly countenance and sweet words Spoken from the heart-these are virtue's way.

Poverty-provoking sorrow will not pursue Those who speak joy-producing words to all they meet.

Humility and pleasant words are the jewels That adorn a man; there are none other.

If a man seeks good works while speaking sweet words, His virtues will wax and his vices wane.

Words yield spiritual rewards and moral excellence When they do not wander far from usefulness and agreeableness

Sweet speech which is stranger to pettiness inparts pleasure Not only in this life, but in the next.

Why would anyone speak cruel words, Having observed the happiness that kind words confer?

3 comments:

Caddie said...

Thank you Pilgrim for this post. I must try to follow this wisdom seriously and refrain from being so blunt. Bless you for your teachings.

Anonymous said...

Having been on the receiving end of harsh and unkind words, I can only agree with you!!

Anonymous said...

Is everything OK, here? I've not heard from you or seen a new post ofr a while?
Thinking of you!
love,
Viv