Saturday, April 4, 2009

Following Your Passion



Last Night my daughter had the opportunity to perform her first solo number in front of an audience.She has never been on stage and it was quite nerve-wrecking and exciting at the same time. Music and singing has been her passion since childhood and she used to practice singing at home, whenever she was free.

But as mothers are, or as I am too domineering as she says, I kept telling her not to focus on singing so much since her studies were more important. I remember her telling me once, “Ma – you have killed my dreams.” Yes. I was always telling her to concentrate on her studies and not to get distracted. Now that she is in College, an opportunity came to her to take part in a cultural night event.

Being selected to sing was as exciting for me as for her. I wanted to set the feeling right this time since she was crestfallen with my discouragement regarding her passion.

This was the first time my baby, my little princess, was going to go on stage and do her maiden performance! The feeling was exhilarating and I was as nervous as her. The only sad thing was that I was not able to be there to watch her live, singing her first number to an audience on stage!

Waiting for her to call me to tell me how she performed was restless for me too. I could not sleep the whole night imagining how she would have performed. After a number of calls she told me that she was not nervous and did pretty well. I am waiting anxiously to see the recording which she has promised to send me today.

So much for dreams and the possibilities of attaining them. It may be a small start but I know that this is the stepping stone for her. It has given her the confidence and elation that anything you love to do would give. I wish her all the best for bright future following her passion.

An inspiring quote by Sharon Cook & Graciela Sholander, I found which I feel that if any one of us follows, we will be able to feel total joy and satisfation.

"If you have ever felt such tremendous enthusiasm and desire for something that you would gladly spend all your waking hours working on it, that you would happily do without pay, then you have found your passion".

3 comments:

Caddie said...

I do wish you could post the video of the "Debut" of your princess for us 'out here' to see.

As parents we do sometimes with our words shatter another's dream- never intentionally but with the intention of guidance to a young soul toward that which we see as important.

At times it works and sometimes it doesn't. Its a quandary of life. In years down the road, I know your daughter will see the wisdom you possessed at the time you 'shattered her dream'.

There are no accidents, just opportunities.

Her stage debut was an opportunity for you to glow with pride in her. Wonderful, Pilgrim.

Pilgrim said...

Hi Sissy, Thank you so much for your encouraging words.

She did mention that the recording was not so good but she will post the video as soon as her friend (who recorded it) gives it to her.

Thanks and Take Care

Anonymous said...

Well done to you both!